February 14, 2023
Even though dental restorations are durable, they’re not meant to last forever. A filling that unexpectedly falls out of your mouth can be quite unsettling. Sometimes it can even be a bit painful! While this situation isn’t necessarily considered a dental emergency, you still need to address it appropriately and in a timely manner. Below, you’ll learn a few helpful tips from your emergency dentist in Syracuse on how to handle a lost filling.
How Does a Filling Come Loose?
There are many different reasons why a dental filling can come loose. Some of the most common causes include:
- Tooth decay around the filling
- Chewing too hard
- Biting into hard or crunchy foods
- Grinding your teeth (i.e., bruxism)
- Trauma to the tooth or root
- A chemical reaction that loosens the bond of the filling to the teeth
What to Do If You Have a Lost Filling
Did your filling come loose or fall out? Even if it’s not painful, you need to have your restoration replaced as soon as possible. Here are some steps you should take:
- Call your dentist. Schedule an appointment right away and make sure you let your dentist if you’re in pain. If you can’t be seen immediately, ask for advice on how to protect your exposed tooth from damage.
- Locate the filling. Try your best to find the filling and store it somewhere in case your dentist wants to reuse it. In the best-case scenario, they can simply put it back in place or have to replace it altogether.
- Gargle salt water. This can keep the area clean and remove unwanted lingering debris from the tooth. It’ll help kill bacteria that could damage your exposed tooth.
- Keep your mouth clean. You can take care of your damaged tooth by brushing the area very gently.
- Protect the exposed tooth. Use dental wax or temporary filling material to keep the damaged tooth safe from further issues. Of course, you should keep in mind that this is only a temporary solution until you can get your filling repaired by your dentist.
How to Prevent a Filling from Coming Loose
The best way to keep your filling intact is by practicing good oral hygiene and visiting your dentist regularly. It’s strongly recommended that you keep the following tips in mind:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day with fluoride toothpaste
- Floss your teeth daily
- Replace your toothbrush every three to four months – sooner if the bristles become frayed
- Brush your tongue to get rid of bacteria and freshen your breath
- See your dentist every six months for a checkup and cleaning
About the Practice
Our team at Creative Dental Concepts of CNY will always go above and beyond to keep your smile in tip-top shape. From routine checkups to complex restorative treatments to smile-saving emergency dentistry, we’ve got everything you need to maintain good oral health. If you break or lose a filling, don’t hesitate to reach out for assistance. You can schedule an appointment via our website or call (315) 475-6641.
No comments yet.
RSS feed for comments on this post.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.