May 17, 2018
Your tooth is failing and it’s become painful. Your dentist in Syracuse has told you that you need to think about replacing your tooth in order to protect your oral health. You’ve heard that dental implants are an excellent solution, but are they the right choice for you? Your dentist has the answers you need to decide if dental implants are the right solution for your needs.
What is a Dental Implant?
To understand if dental implants will work for your situation, it’s important to understand how they work. A titanium implant post is placed into your bone during a simple surgical procedure. The implant will integrate with your bone since titanium is biocompatible, which takes the place of your root and creates a firm and stable foundation for your new tooth.
A porcelain crown attaches to the implant and replaces your missing tooth. Because it closely mimics your tooth in both shape and shade, it is a highly functional and aesthetically appealing choice for restoring a tooth.
Will Dental Implants Work for Me?
Dental implants do require a few things in order to be successful, including:
- Enough jawbone structure present to support the implant – Additional procedures may be necessary to rebuild bone for patients who lack enough healthy jawbone
- Healthy gum tissue
- Good overall general health
- A commitment to an excellent home care routine, which protects the implant from infection
Your dentist can determine if dental implants will suit your needs by taking x-rays and performing a thorough examination. This is typically done during a consultation with your dentist where they will discuss all of your treatment options with you.
Who is not a Candidate for Dental Implants?
There are certain situations in which dental implants may not be the ideal treatment procedure. Some of these instances are:
- Young patients whose jawbones are still growing
- People with chronic systemic issues or diseases
- Heavy smokers – smoking and tobacco use can interfere with the healing and integration process of the implant
- Pregnant women
- Substance or alcohol abusers who may not follow instructions for taking care of the implant after placement, which reduces its success rate
If you are living with a compromised or missing tooth, you owe it to yourself to take the time to learn more about dental implants from your dentist in Syracuse. Give us a call today to schedule your consultation.
About the Author
Dr. Gregory Craybas and Dr. Donald Crumb are proud to provide a level of dental care to patients in Syracuse, NY that far exceeds their patient’s expectations. By offering comprehensive services and a level of customer service that is second to none, these doctors provide an experience at the dental office that you won’t find anywhere else. If you are looking for implant dentistry, our doctors will guide you through the process from start to finish.
To contact Creative Dental Concepts, call 315-475-6641 or reach us online through our website
No comments yet.
RSS feed for comments on this post.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.